Rock On

I’ve been waiting. Every time I turn on the radio I listen for one of those roll down the windows, spark up a fatty, step on the gas, drive to the ocean rip off my clothes and dive into a wave rock anthems that make my ears bleed, face melt, heart beat faster and sing out loud, one of those songs that makes me think that for as long as this lasts anything is possible.

Allow me to take a little trip back in time, names and dates are probably confused but what the heck, the party was in full swing:

Summer of 70, Jumpin’ Jack Flash by the Stones
Summer of 71, Saturday Nights Allright for Fightin” Elton John (yeah I know)
Summer of 72, Ballroom Blitz, The Sweet

Summer of can’t remember, Won’t Get Fooled Again, The Who, Born to Run, Springsteen, Train kept a Rollin’, Aerosmith, More Than a Feelin’, Boston, Rock On, David Essex, Schools Out, Alice Cooper, You’ve Got Another Thing Comin’, Judas Priest, Freebird, Lynard Skynard, Back in Black, AC/DC, Jailbreak, Thin Lizzy, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana, Panama, Van Halen, Alive, Pearl Jam, Sweet Child of Mine, Guns & Roses…I could go on but I have to go.

Anybody else remember?

These songs transcended age, culture and taste. They were everywhere, you couldn’t miss them. I miss that stuff, everything seems so compartmentalized.

One good song brings so many people together. I hope somebody comes up with one soon, we need it.

• Chrysalis Angel says:

Excellent taste!

• john says:

Yeah Mike you're absolutlely right! we need a good song to come out NOW! And that was the perfect video to post..i think i may have blown out one of my computer speakers after that one

• Susie Hemingway says:

Fantastic choice of music you old ( or not so old) rocker, funny I remember almost all of your choices and can remember dancing the night away to most in some of the London Clubs a number? of years ago. I saw the 'Boss' at a recent UK concert (on TV of course)but I would have gone, if not for caring for H and he was amazing…making all the other acts, pale.I know just what you mean about really good Rock Bands…still I have my ipod and I can dream…can't I.

• Medic7 says:

I remember when 103.7 WRX and 94 HJY played great rock like that. I used to crank it up on my boombox on trips to Misquamicut Beach. 🙂 (And in the ambulance when I used to do transfers to Rhode Island Renal in Westerly!)Here's to the old Summer anthems! Nothing new even comes close. Now when I want to rock out, I crank up Pandora on my Blackberry.

• Capt. Schmoe says:

94.7 the mighty met, KMET Rocks!!! Hooooooya. Right now we're gonna start this set off with a two-fer Tuesday featuring Kansas. Carry On My Wayward Son followed by Portrait (He Knew).Naw dude, I don't know what you're talking about. Well, I mean I can't remember.Thanks for the post.

• Herbie says:

I have every one of those songs in my iPod.

• 40lizard says:

Love those songs! And you're right they bring up every memory possible when you hear them! The one that strikes me the most is Jackson Browne's Running on Empty- it brings back hot summer days at the swimming pool, with the smell of coconut Coppertone and chlorine everywhere! Before we knew we'd get melanoma from bathing in that stuff to get the best tan! LOL! And we do need another song of summer such as those mentioned!

• Jean says:

Sounds like someone needs a get-drunk-on-their-ass-party-at-the-beach-and-pass-out-in-a-motel for a day or two. No?

• Anonymous says:

Queen had two great ones "We will rock You" and We are the Champions. I have to agree we did have some great songs back then. I remember listening to 550 WGNG AM and my brother winning an album by The Sweet and we would listen to Ballroom Blitz over and over. I do have suggestion for a new song, my wife and I seem to have found something in common with this one by Mt Chemical Romance, its call "Teenages Scare the Living Sh!T out of me". I guess after having two already pass and two more in them it fits.JoeEMT799

• peedee says:

I dont know how I missed this post!! I was in a music mood this weekend and was blaring the good old stuff along with some good new stuff. Loud enough that I got the evil stare from my neighbor the next day. =)I love love love the old stuff but there is some good new stuff, just gotta wade thru a lot of crap to get to it. I've got a 21 year old that introduces me to some of the best stuff I've heard in awhile. This post makes me miss the Jersey Shore in the summer time. And if you ever get a chance to see Kid Rock live….DO IT! You wont regret it.

• Anonymous says:

I notice that the youngun Bernice didn't comment on your old-guy music. Ha!It's GREAT stuff, Michael!B's momma

• Nick Stabile says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-64CaD8GXwAt my wedding, my wife and I were introduced to this song…..thought you of all people would trully appreciate it

I knew you guys rocked!Nick, DKM, doesn't get much better than that!

• sarah says:

haha just found this on the random thingy, and had to chuckle.
    I was only enjoying a loud *spirit in the sky* the other night.
    Talking about old rockers, we saw Dr Hook about 30 years and were blown away by them, then by chance a couple of months ago,  the singer came to clacton to do a one man show (sylvias mother – sorry can't remember how to spell his name).
    Well he was beyond amazing just him and a guitar giving it all.
    rock on!