Mediccops

So I’m thinking, (something I do from time to time) and it occurred to me how easily the problem of transporting psych patients, combative patients and intoxicated patients could be solved. If we trained a police officer as an EMT, or an EMT as a police officer, and teamed them up as the Psychological Crisis Team, or something like that, and had them respond to calls for help from the aforementioned patients a lot of problems would be solved.

The cops are not that good at dealing with emotionally unstable people, The medics really should not be put in the position of restraining people, or fighting them, or doing the ridiculous things we do to get patients from point A to Point B with the least amount of damage to the personnel or patients.

They have police paramedics, but that is something entirely different from what I propose. I’m not talking about paramedics standing by at drug busts and hostage situations, rather the meat and potatoes calls that we risk ourselves on all the time. The ones that get no headlines, but are far more risky than the prolific “dangerous” calls.

Can we train cops to be medics, or medics to be cops? Are there people willing to do it?

I think it is worth a try, anything is better than being in the back of the rig, unarmed, undermanned and overwhelmed with a volatile patient whose demeanor has changed from docile to hostile right before your eyes.

Mediccops. I think it has a nice ring to it.

• duane says:

the only problem i see with this is…. if cops were smart enough to pass their emt in the first place, they'd be firefighters anyways

Good point, duane, I knew there was more thinking to be done!

• Woodie says:

Mike-
    We can't even get the cops in Providence to be trained in field sobriety tests which should be part of their job.  Drink and drive in Providence, and if you don't kill someone in an accident, the drunk gets the completely ridiculous choice "Either you go with rescue or you get arrested". Gee, I wonder what they choose every time.

• Bullets says:

Our local PD has 2-3 officers trained to the EMT-B level on every shift, and they deal with the crisis calls and the EMS calls, it works very well, they understand there is more then just :they are crazy, tie'em down" then most LEOs,

• JoeEMT799 says:

Timmy and Louie " Rescue Cops" with more tools then the police on their "Bat Belt" . They use to ride around in their "Urban Assault Vehicle" secretly disguised as Rescue 2.
    I think your onto something Mike. Keep up the good work.

• Lynda M O says:

Love the idea, hope it can be "unpacked" and investigated and procedured until that type of safety is inherent in every dubiously safe call.

• DaveOC says:

Can I have a tazer ? Think that might solve a few problems…………..oh hell,  I already have one, made by Zoll  !
    All psych, drunk and combative pt's get defib pads applied as a matter of protocol from now on !
    "Charging " !

• Medic2RN says:

Yeah.  Good idea.  Let's give the EMT's guns.  I'm in for the After Action Report on that one.
    Be Good,
    Medic2RN
    PS  Can I get a .45 acp?  It would save on ammo.  Thanks.  YeahOKnevermind…..

• RAN says:

Involuntary treatment by EMS has been part of my job in all my positions. The head injury w/'frontal behavior', resisting the six crewmembers up to the second when the intubation meds kick in. Same goes for a behavioral crisis. It's a medical issue and medical staff are the proper agents for his care. It has taken decades to change the status of a person w/an acute behavioral crisis to that of a patient rather than a prisoner. We asked for the job and it is our responsibility to manage it(except when a weapon is in play) Yea it means wrestling w/them. Prepare for it like your other duties. LEO's are at a disadvantage in wrestling patients to the cot due to their weapon. Weapon retention influences every thought and movement of a LEO. EMS is more agile. I consider it a courtesy to LE and a risk/benefit decision to be the primary restraining service.  I've restrained many many patients with rare harm to anyone. We get enough crew to do the job and pounce without warning. No conversation. Quick and complete domination. Everybody in four points and 3 cots straps.

• Ambulance Ranger says:

All our Law Enforcement Officers are trained to at least the EMT-B level.  Most of our paramedics are also gun & taser totin' LEOs.  Except for a few volunteers, most of our EMS crews on our 9 ambulances are armed and prepared for the worst.  Not sure if this is simply due to our local organization or relative distance from 'civilization'.  Seems to work well.  It also makes you less likely to have nuisance patients when the paramedic is packin'. 🙂