Reality Check

Who is doing the hiring around here? These kids look younger and younger, when I started they only hired people my age.

• Erica says:

Honey even I feel old, and I'm only 25. when you ask around the bunk room "who wants to go out for a pop later?" and half of them say "I can't," I feel ancient LoL. :o(

• Old Jake says:

Mike,
    Have you looked in the mirror lately?  Uh, that OLD guy you see is not your OLD uncle Fred.  Its you my man.  Someone took away our youth and exchanged it for what we see now.   I have to tell you, YOUTH is wasted on the young.  They don't know what the hell to do with it.
    I look now and I see a short, fat, bald guy with hearing aids and has knobby knees and mouthful of false teeth.  If it wasnt for artificial joints and screws I would be less than half the man I am now???  Holy Shit, take this damn broken mirror away from here.
    What makes it worse is when you ask one of these folks what year they were born in and they tell you and you realize that you  were just starting the job then.  They tell you about their weekend out and you realize that you are going to bed about the time they are going out!
    There is no escaping it……They need to have the snot kicked out of them!  And as soon as I can find a convenient time where I am not in bed or taking my geritol and metamucil I will ….What the hell was I talking about???    Nevermind, gotta take my pills!

I don't know, Old jake, where did the years go? Funny stuff, thanks for the comment, as always.

• The shock to me was when the kids that I remember running around in diapers when I was at their folks houses are now on the job. I was talking to an EMT the other day and started out with "Back when your dad was my partner…" and stopped when I realized what I had said.
      I referred to "Jeans" as "Dungarees" the other day and got a blank look from the EMT I was talkign to.
      Suddenly, I'm the old guy and the old guys that were on the job when I started are all retired and mostly gone. There names aren't even memories to the new guys on the job and when I talk about guys who left the job 20 years ago, the new guys just give me a blank look.
      Soon, too soon, I'll be just another one of those old guys that used to be on the job "back in the day".

• Pat Blackman/Grandma Muggle says:

A Providence cocp once told me  he liked my hat. (Red Hat Ladies club red straw cowgirl hat with roses, bows and organdy .  Quite fetching.)  I thanked him and told him I had a photo of a PFD guy wearing it and me wearoing his helmet.  Told im he could borrow it sometime if he wanted to.  LOL.  Then I asked him why all of the handsome cops today seemed so much younger than when my Uncle Lewis was on the PPD years ago.  Then I said "Don't bother to answer. I have figured it out. Cops are still regulatiion ages but I am a lot older.."  Lots of laughter..  See Mike.  Everything is realtive.  LOL.  (No folks the PFD guy wearning my hat was not Mike.  I  have lots of pals on the job. But should you need a classy chapeau Mike?  Just call.  LOL.

• Pat Blackman/Grandma Muggle says:

Make that a Providence COP folks!  LOL.

Hello Pat, a class chapeau is always handy, thanks!

• Bernice says:

Uh, Michael?  I hate to break it to you buddy, but when I start looking like the "old one" then you know you are in trouble.  🙂

Bernice! My day is complete, even if I'm an old goat.