Ten reasons I haven’t killed myself . . .
10. I realized depression is real
9. I stopped caring about what other people thought about grown men with depression
8. I realized firefighters are just people who do firefighter things for a living, we are not superpeople, we’re just people
7. I found somebody to talk to
6. and I talked
5. then listened
4. Then followed suggestions
3. Stopped drinking.
2. Talked some more
1. Realized that life is hard, and it’s hard for all of us, even the beautiful people on TV, and on social media, and who seem to have everything going for them but struggle like the rest of us, and I put my expectations in line with my reality, and stopped wanting what I didn’t have and began to appreciate what I did.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
Life is for living.
Rest in peace Lieutenant, deepest condolences to your family, friends and members of the East Providence Fire Department.