How fast can you get your EMT?
Become an EMT
The EMT-B training is available through many community colleges and other institutions. It usually takes about six months to complete the 120 to 150 hours of training. After that, you take a state certification test.
Is it worth becoming an EMT?
If you are serious about going to medical school, chances are that you have at least considered becoming an EMT. … It is a great way to build up your medical school resume; there is probably no other job you can get as an undergraduate that will give you greater interaction with patients than as an EMT.
Do EMTs get paid a lot?
According to the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median emergency medical services salary was $34,320 per year, or about $16.50 per hour in 2018. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $22,760, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $58,640.
Can you become an EMT online?
EMT certification cannot be completed 100% online. However, those willing to go on-site for portions of the practical training can take EMT training online.
Can you live off being an EMT?
EMTs and Paramedics can live off the salary they make. However, the lifestyle they can live will depend on location, experience, employer, and overtime hours.
Why are EMTs paid so little?
Many EMS workers, a category which includes both EMTs and paramedics, say their low pay reflects a lack of appreciation for their work, which can be just as dangerous as and at times even more dangerous than the work of police officers and firefighters….
Where do EMTs get paid the most?
Best-Paying States for Paramedics
- Hawaii. $56,610.
- Washington. $56,140.
- Maryland. $50,750.
- District of Columbia. $47,830.
What is the highest paid EMT?
#1 – Seattle, Washington
- EMTs in Seattle make a median salary of $80,470.
- For some people, in the 90th percentile, salaries can reach as high as $102,900 – $103,900.
- Cost of Living Index (COLI): 199.
- The cost of living in Seattle is 26% more expensive than the average of all the cities in our study.
How can an EMT make the most money?
5 ways to increase your annual earnings
- Become an EMT-Intermediate. Certain states offer an EMT-Intermediate, EMT-B, or AEMT license, a step between EMTs and paramedics. …
- Advance in your career. …
- Look for a new employer. …
- Work more overtime. …
- Find a second job.